Sunday, 27 September 2026

Edwardian Adventures In 2025-26 (Beamish & Seaton Delaval Hall)



In May 2025 it was once again time for the annual historical costuming meet up in Beamish. I had something new to wear, as I'd spent many a sewing lesson making this gorgeous Edwardian skirt (with a lot of help!). I'm so happy with how it turned out, and hopefully now I should be able to navigate making one on my own. I wanted something that I could wear as daywear for regular historical costume meet ups, but that I could also wear to a ball if I were to make a matching bodice (gotta make it as versatile as possible!). Oh also it was way heavier than I expected it to be





I really wanted the skirt to be fancy, as I love lace and frills and all things flouncy. I chose this gorgeous shade of willow green because well, that's one of the colours I wanted for my capsule wardrobe, and it matched the hat I made last year. I also added two black velvet bows to the front that are detachable, though I may have to re-make those as I didn't secure the bow properly and they came undone at some point in the day.



As usual, Ria came to stay over so we could get ready and travel to Beamish together. We met up with the others and headed to Pockerly. The weather was so lovely that day, the perfect temperature for historical costumes as it was warm but not too warm haha.

After Pockerly, it was picnic time, where we were joined by a few more people before splitting up for a while as Ria and I wanted some photos around 1900s town and the others wanted to go to the sweet shop and look around the 50s town. 


We all sort of match colour scheme!
























In August of the same year it was time for our annual Seaton Delaval Hall picnic. I had gotten this lingerie dress set for my birthday so I was excited to wear it. I decided to pair it with my smaller hat to change things up a bit, as well as gold accessories. 

As you can see we hit up all the usual spots and got lots of cute photos~






I actually got good photos in the upside down room for once
















I didn't wear Edwardian again until May 2026 when it was time for the British Guild's Beamish meet up again. Ria wasn't able to make it this time but we still had a nice little group and we had a lovely day! 



I decided this time to try to mix and match my lingerie dresses, as that had always been my plan. Unfortunately the two I own are very different shades of white which I feel show up even worse on camera, so I ended up doing a bit of editing to make it less obvious. 

For the first time, I gave styling my own hair a go as it was finally long enough and the right colour, though I think I need some practice. I went for my smaller hat again, and silver accessories this time. I also had a new antique corset cover to wear! I'd been feeling like my Gibsongirldress one was a little too big for me and ended up making me look a bit bulky, whereas this one is the perfect shape with my bust improver!
I couldn't decide which black & white filter looked better so have both






Once again we had a lovely if exhausting day and took some lovely photos. We were also stopped A LOT for photos. Not to sound ungrateful as people are just excited to see historical costumes, but it does end up taking a lot of the day's energy- it's one small encounter for them but for us it's our 30th interaction of the day y'know? Especially when you have limited energy and want to make the most of your day, or when we're just trying to eat lunch and have a camera stuck in your face. 






Overall we still had so much fun, starting off with a go on the steam train, moseying around Pockerly, going through 1900s town and finishing with a go on the carousel at the funfair (hilariously we were joined for the ride by a random stranger's child). While in 1900s town we were allowed to get a photo in the photography studio for half price since we were already in costume which was sweet of the staff!







It was a while until I wore historical costume again, but at the end of August it was time for another Seaton Delaval Hall meet up. Ria wasn't able to make it, but we had a new member join, and I dressed up a friend from the lolita comm Luce. 


Luce ended up in the same blouse and skirt combo as I'd worn in May, while I wore a blouse I got from ASOS paired with a skirt from one of the lingerie dresses. I think if I wore this blouse again I'd have to find a high neck collar to wear with it though. For undergarments, I put Luce in an 18th century shift, a corset I use for drag looks which isn't HA but it is a similar shape, the Gibsongirldress corset cover, and a long cotton Primark skirt that isn't a perfect petticoat but works in a pinch. We decided to wear my waist sashes that usually go with my 18th century stuff, but I think they work okay with the Edwardian dresses. I styled my natural hair again- I think I need to practice more as I haven't been 100% happy with it either time tbh. I also think a necklace would've made my dress look a little less empty~



Once we arrived at Seaton Delaval Hall we got some photos by the gorgeous flowers before heading to the cemetary first. We were actually stopped by a very enthusiastic man who was part of the group that looks after the church I believe, who asked us for some photos and basically had us do a little photoshoot lol. He gave us his card for said group and I've requested the photos, but no luck yet. If I get sent any I'll add them here though.




The weather was supposed to be rainy, so we planned just to eat at the cafe instead of having a picnic this time. It didn't actually rain in the end, so it was a shame we didn't get to have a lovely picnic, but it was so much easier not having to lug around a picnic blanket & basket (so much easier when you have an ouji accessory!) After that we headed into the house and got some more lovely photos. Luce didn't get many after lunch as she was pretty exhausted, partly from the day but partly because she got a nosebleed the night before and didn't get much sleep as a result :<










No comments:

Post a Comment