Wednesday 13 September 2023

Wearing Edwardian at Another Historical Costuming Meet-Up

 



In August I hosted a historical costuming meet up at Seaton Delaval Hall, a local National Trust stately home. It's the second year in a row I've hosted there in what I hope will become an annual thing. While the turnout wasn't massive, with just me, Ruby, Blake, and Ria, I had a really enjoyable day! 

We started by having our picnic, which this year was a little less aesthetic as we simply brought our own packed lunches; we didn't take any picnic photos for that reason. Once done we put our things away and headed inside, where we got our first photos. One of the staff kindly offered to take a group photo for us. We got stopped by lots o lovely people throughout the day, some asking if we had something to do with the house, some asking for photos, and some asking why we were dressed up, and just generally being nice.



I was excited this time to wear another Edwardian look as I wasn't totally happy with my last. I restyled my wig and I was so pleased with how it turned out, I feel like the last one was too titanic era while this one is a bit more gibson girl. Unfortunately I don't have a tutorial for this wig as I had less of a clear idea of what I wanted to do than with the rococo wigs. Perhaps I'll put together a tutorial if I have to restyle it again in the future~!

The dress is a set from GibsonGirlDress which I'd had my eye on for quite a long time and got in a recent sale they had. It's so gorgeous in person, I'm in love! The one downside is that it's a totally different shade of white to the puff sleeve blouse I own. I was hoping in the future to be able to swap the blouses to essentially give me multiple dresses, but obviously I won't be able to do that now. :(
I recently bought a vintage or possibly antique cherub brooch while in York and I was excited to pair it with my antique belt, I think they go well together.





I really like this candid photo Ruby took!









We did a circuit of the house and took lots of photos as you've seen. While in the hallway with the portraits we noticed Blake and Ria matched the colours of one so of course they got a picture in front of it. I also got to go in the upside down room this time! We all got photos but unfortunately the lighting in there is awful, so I only included one where I think my camera flash went off.

We did spend a good amount of the day just messing about and having fun, you might spot us doing stupid poses in a couple of photos, in between looking elegant and fancy. I don't have much else to write so enjoy the rest of the photos of the day and the occasional paragraph~!






Goodness, you can see my ankles! I had to show off my gorgeous American Duchess shoes though.


Genuine question, why did beds used to be so high?



Once we'd been through the house we made our way to the chapel, Ruby really wanted to check it out as we hadn't had time to check it out last time.

Ria actually made both hers and Blake's outfits, including her stays! That's so impressive. My sewing skills are nowhere near good enough to make outerwear that looks good, I just stick to making my undies haha (and not including corset or stays because those are complex and kind of need to look good and give the right shape). Hopefully in the future I'll be able to make myself a dress, I would like to make a walking skirt soon.



Holy communion-core?





I think all thes outdoor photos in this section are my favourite of the day!




I like how within our group, we essentially had two little groups: the Regency group (Blake, Ria and Ruby), and the white dresses group (Me, Ria and Ruby).







You might have noticed that in like all the outdoor photos I'm holding onto my hat. That's because I couldn't get my pesky hat pin to work! I bought the longest one I could find on etsy and it's nowhere near long enough, and it's already bent from the last time I used it. I went to Beamish again recently and the hat pins they have on display are so long in comparison to mine, I need one of those! Maybe I could DIY one? But also the weave of the hat is pretty tight and it's quite hard to get pins through so I'm not sure that would even help.















With about 30-40 minutes until closing time, we took a short break to sit down drink some tea and rest our feet. After that we had a look around a different part of the gardens where we found some mirror instillation and a bunch of statues. The mood was pretty silly and goofy at this point in the day.





I really love these photos in front of the rose bush!



When it was finally time to leave, we all got chips at a chippy with vegan options near(ish) by. The staff were so nice and asked for photos of us and gave us free vegan turkish delight!



I thought it would be cool to add a filter to a couple photos to make them look like actual Edwardian pics~


No comments:

Post a Comment