Wednesday 1 May 2019

My Favourite Things In Oldschool Lolita

This is a simple post, just talking about my favourite things about oldschool, and my favourite pieces, styles, aspects of it etc. There's no real reason for this blog post other than because I fucking love old school lolita and want to gush about how great it is!
  • Ringlet wigs (especially with black)
  • Gobelin, anything that looks like a grandma sofa
  • Especially if it's ugly. Love an ugly gobelin colourway.
  • Big ol' lace monsters
  • Peeking Blomers
  • Hime cut
  



Click read more to see waaaaay more below:

  • That sexy clean EGL
  • Carrying teddies and dolls with your coord because it's cute
  • And on that note- teddy bear bags
  • Velveteen
  • Strawberry prints. Cherry prints. Old fruit prints are the best!
  • Tiaras
  


  • Beautiful detailed lace, whether it's cotton or crocheted, if it has shapes like crosses, flowers, hearts I fuckin love it
  • Edgy-ass haircuts (and colours)
  • Aprons
  • Chunky shoes, clunky shoes. I just love that chonk. 
  • Especially 90s ones that are weird shapes, RHS boots, etc
  • Screen printed cutsews

 

  • That deliciously fuzzy photo/video quality. Despite losing details it just. looks. better!
  • Frumpy
  • Rectangle headdresses
  • Floppy bonnets
  • The edgy and sometimes straight up weird photoshoots that appeared in magazines or that lolitas did themselves
  • Just lovely construction and silhouettes

 
 
  • No headdress at all
  • Screen printed dresses & skirts
  • Black socks and shoes in a coord with very little black elsewhere
  • And Black shoes/bag in an otherwise non-black coord
  • Those weird hair extension thingies
  • Experimental hair with yarn extensions or feathers

 

  • 90s makeup
  • Daisies!
  • When skirts are shorter and show that leggy
  • Coording in a less matchy-matchy way (what might be considered "shoehorning" -incorrectly- today)
  • Mostly red coords with pink shoes or mostly pink coords with red shoes
  • Resting bitch face

 

  • Crown motifs
  • On socks, on skirts, on cutsews. on bags, bags shaped like crowns, crown necklaces
  • Chokers
  • Mid calf socks
  • That 1997/98 proto-lolita goodness that had v blurred lines between itself and other experimental Harajuku fashion
  • Ties
 

 

 
  • Black and white but like in a non boring way (imo)
  • 90s hairstylesss
  • The good ol frumpy doll aesthetic
  • The much more chill attitude, still being a street fashion and in many ways more relaxed
  • Basket bags
  • Florals in gothic/classic coords with big goffik shoes


 
  • No petticoat/minimal petticoat
  • Shirred sleeves and michelin man sleeves
  • Screen printed tote bags
  • Bare shoulders (especially with gloves)
  • A good cardigan
  • Cute, maiden-like photos



There's just so many things in oldschool that I love! Of course what I listed doesn't encompass all of oldschool, there are definitely things that aren't my favourite and aren't my taste within old school (basically like 5 things I didn't include haha). But all of that and probably some things I forgot to mention, I just love so much!

Most of the things I listed I would consider to come together to be part of my own personal style within oldschool, although not everything. Some of those things I haven't been able to try yet, like a mostly red coord with pink shoes, or the crazy shaped 90s shoes (because they sell for like £200 regardless of condition).
But honestly, I keep saying it but man I just love oldschool. And sometimes when I see certain features I mentioned, it just fills me with joy, and inspires me a lot.

What are some of your favourite things in or about oldschool lolita?


9 comments:

  1. I like pretty much all of the above - on someone else :P It's not a style that I wear, but it's definitely a style that I admire.
    Even for someone like me who didn't discover the fashion until oldschool became, well, oldschool rather than the norm, it still pangs a lot of nostalgia (because of all that 90's hair/makeup/photo quality/overall vibe). I'm glad we're seeing more lolitas wear this style again, it's a much needed breath of fresh air amidst the new trends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really curious now what the 5 things you don't like in oldschool are, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing I specifically don't like in oldschool, just a few things I'm not particularly drawn towards or interested by, the main thing that comes to mind is Mary Magdalene and Victorian Maiden's more elegant coords from back than as they don't really have that identifiably 'oldschool aesthetic' and are a little more timeless. Another would be very plain simple black and white coords akin to traditional lolita, but again they're still cute. While part of me loves it, part of me also hates the choppy 00s haircuts haha, and the rectangular glasses that were popular then.

      Delete
  3. OLD SCHOOL FOREVER!!
    Pink, sax blue, black and white. White puffed sleeve peterpan collar blouses. Basic headbows to match. LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that grey cord in the last photo set is a picture I've never seen before. I like the strange collar and pom poms. The baggy sleeves that come past their wrist. And those shoes!!! I really want a pair, I love the pattern on it.

    ReplyDelete